Yea for opinions. Nay for conflict.
New semester, new essay. Or two essays. Two very-relevant-in-today's-society essays. And they're about sensitive topics. Talking about these topics? It can almost get worse than walking on thin ice.
Words must be chosen carefully in order to avoid conflict. I guess that's what I'm afraid of. Conflict. I genuinely admire those that have the guts to go out there and say everything on their mind. Even if they're ignorant because they can always be educated. Opinions are weapons, blunt like a baseball bat or jabbing like a knife's point. If I take out my weapon, I don't want thousands of knives (of judgement and insults?) coming at me. To be honest, it's more of a fear of "wrong opinions" or "stupid questions." I know those that are quick to reply, "There are no wrong opinions!" or "There are no stupid questions!" but I think it's fair to say people are attacked all the time for their opinions and questions.
The fear of being wrong may be very common among people, but I think this should change. Asking questions and vocalizing opinions, even if they seem ridiculous, must become normalized in order to gather knowledge and advance from past mistakes. People should not insult the ignorant, but educate them. If people make mistakes, they are not “canceled.” I advise people not to make fun of mistakes, but correct the mistakes. Everyone should work together to prevent later mistakes. One mistake in judgement does not dictate a person’s personality, opinions, or thinking.
I’ve decided I’ll try talking more for my own advancement. I encourage my fellow silent bystanders to also step up, and for a selfish (the good kind) reason: advancement.
This was a really interesting post, Sujin! I found it interesting how you took a different approach than most people on your blog this week, and I definitely agree that it's difficult to put your opinion out there.
ReplyDeleteI really like your post!!! I like the way you drew a connection between the conflicts about speaking up from the essays we read to your life. I also really love the way you conclude by saying that everyone should work together to prevent mistakes. And I completely agree that no one should be judged based on their opinions or questions and that this behavior should be changed.
ReplyDeleteThis is a really well written post. I like how you shifted from your own personal experience with words to your opinion on how we should change our behavior towards opinions and questions. I agree that we should educate and help each other instead of attacking people for their ignorance.
ReplyDelete