Yea for July Fourth. Nay for July Fourth.
Same day, but different ways. Happiness, freedom, criticism, anger. And as Douglass said, “your fourth of July is a sham.” Whites believe freedom, blacks believe hypocrisy. Why does slavery exist? Why do abolitionists need persuasive arguments just to prove that slavery is not moral? “The Fourth July is yours, not mine. You may rejoice, I must mourn.” There is a clear line between the emotions a white man and a black man feels. While the white man celebrates his freedom, the black man must mourn for his lack of freedom. “Sacrilegious irony.”

Yea for improvement. Nay for mediocrity.
Slavery is now abolished. Are blacks now free? Are we equal? Are people free from prejudice? Improvement has occurred, but society still discriminates. “The rich inheritance of justice, liberty, prosperity, and independence, bequeathed by your fathers, is shared by you, not by me.” Some are seen to be freer than others. The fight for freedom and equality rages on. African Americans are being shot for their race. Hate groups exist. Should non-whites even celebrate July Fourth?
I hope there is a future with equality and happiness. I hope we can look back at the past and say, “That’s not us anymore.” The Fourth of July may permanently be a day of pain or indifference for many. Nothing is ever going to be perfect, and that's fine. I just hope that soon, everyone can celebrate the liberation of all races.
No comments:
Post a Comment