Yea for our imagination. Nay for those unrealities.
Upon reading about Maxine Hong Kingston’s dreams in “The Woman Warrior,” I started wonder how many of peoples’ dreams actually do come true. I don’t think there is lot, even though that may come across as a bit depressing. Is imagination just a separate thing from reality? I like to think that everyone wants to change the world in some way, similar to Kingsley. I would also want to become a woman warrior hero, but the reality of my situation doesn’t allow me to. Kingsley describes her dream with passion, and I believe that reflects one’s actions. Dreams always reflect actions. I want to dream big, but many times, I’m faced by the negativity and challenges that come with those dreams. Those that dream big are brave and inspirational. Those that make those dreams come true are truly amazing. The power I have feels so small to change the world, although I can name several people that have off the top of my head right now that have changed the world in such a way. It doesn’t feel like false hope.
Many are scared of change. It’s crazy to think that some people have never left their country, living in the same city their great-great-grandparents have lived in. Talking to the same people. Going to the same places. People are afraid to take risks. Their imagination is so limited, just like their experiences. We should break from our comfortable bubble and dream big. We can all change the world.
I don’t know if I will be the brave, inspirational, truly amazing person that I aspire to be. That won’t stop me from trying to. So far, just like Kingsley, “[m]y American life has been such a disappointment.” I think I’ll work to change that soon.
Hey Sujin!
ReplyDeleteI understand that it's scary to think that you'd never be able to be the person you aspire to be or accomplish all your goals before you die. I think about that way too often for my own good. People tell me that it's going to be okay, that so long as you've tried your best and had fun while you're at it, that's all that matters in the end. After all, your needs and wants are going to be changing constantly overtime, and you can't go around satisfying them all. Personally, I'm having a hard time coming around to it too, but I'll work on it, just like you're trying to make your life more un-disappointing!
Hope that wasn't too cheesy!
Thanks,
Jennifer Hu, Fifth Hour
Hey Sujin, I think your post is super relatable! Everyone says "Dream Big", but it is hard to dream big. Especially in society today, I feel like there are so many restrictions- you're just a teenager what do you know? It also is scary. One of the main challenges to overcome is the fear of failing. I, personally, am always scared that my actions and efforts are never enough. In the end, I am just scared and end up keeping everything to myself, but it is true that we should be brave and take risks. the only way to succeed is to make mistakes and learn from them!
ReplyDelete